"This I Believe, Life Lessons" Reflection


    This term I was pondering on what my professional development goals should be before I enter into my Level II fieldwork experience. I wanted to understand more about leisure, motivation and people's interest. As you tap into how to connect with humans, understand their desires and assist them in their dreams during therapeutic practice, you can become a much more well-rounded practitioner. This can also provide better client buy in during rehabilitation. 
    My mentor provided me with a book called, "This I Believe, Life Lessons". This book includes multiple short stories by people of different backgrounds and journeys of life. Within the stories I read in this book, they ranged from small life lessons from their childhood about the importance of saying hello to the joy of a year old 14 boy receiving a heart transplant for two more years of youth and experiences with his friends and family. 
    My biggest takeaway that I can apply from this book with my future clients is that you should simply just talk to your clients. It is important to discuss their wants, goals and weaknesses to get a holistic viewpoint of the client. This is essential to help them achieve their dreams and aspirations. All of the stories I read had one thing in common, and it was the narrator experiencing the feeling of contentment, happiness, and fulfillment. Due to this reoccurring theme in the book, I will always remember to continue supporting and pushing my clients in whatever direction they need me to as a future occupational therapist so that they can feel fulfilled in their lives. 


Book Reference: 

Gediman, D., Gediman, M. J., & Gregory, J. (2013). This I believe: Life Lessons. John Wiley & Sons.

Comments

Popular Posts